Multidisciplinary Team Members
Children’s Advocacy Center
Provides a child friendly atmosphere where children and families can feel safe. Other services provided by the CAC include counseling, referrals, resource information, and follow-up services. Referrals for medical evaluations are made on a case-by-case basis.
Conducts criminal investigations of child abuse cases in which a crime may have occurred.
Child Protective Services (DCFS)
Investigates allegations of possible abuse if a caretaker or family member in the home allegedly committed the abuse or if the family members do not appear protective or are negligent toward the care of the child.
Prosecutes criminal cases of physical abuse, sexual abuse and neglect of a child where the alleged perpetrator is either a juvenile or an adult.
Medical/Mental Health Professionals
Provides specialized assessments and treatment.
Role of the Multidisciplinary Team
- Conducts joint investigations
- Minimizes duplicative efforts and provides coordinated response to families
- Employs a cooperative, collaborative team approach to interviewing children and responding to their family members
- Coordinates evidence gathering, follow-up and tracking of cases
- Conducts regular review of cases – sharing information, expertise and experience
DID YOU KNOW?
Child abuse occurs across all socio-economic levels, ethnic and cultural lines, and religion and education levels.